Looking for a quick healthy weeknight meal that you can put together quickly? Look no further than the Indian favorite, Rajma Masala! This dish hails from the region of North India and it is packed with nutrients. The main ingredient is the superfood kidney beans which lowers cholesterol and is great for heart health. This dish is very filling and it is great for leftovers. If you’re looking for a protein-rich vegetarian meal, Rajma Masala is your best bet.
- 1 red onion
- 2 tsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp green chilli paste
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- salt (to taste)
- 3 cans of kidney beans (540 ml can)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Puree the onion, ginger/garlic paste, and green chili paste in a blender.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the onion puree and let it cook until golden brown (around 15 minutes).
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and salt. Cover with a lid and cook to a pulp – about 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans and add them to the pan. Saute for 20 minutes for the flavors to develop.
- Add garam masala and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and toss.
Latest posts by Alexandra Madhavan (see all)
- Rajma Masala: a North Indian Recipe - June 11, 2018
- How Telling Women’s Stories Shapes Generations and Builds Resilience - March 19, 2018
- Celebrating Halloween as a Multicultural Family - October 24, 2016