Summer is perfect for family time and playing outdoors, and sometimes that makes meal planning a little tough! Today I’m sharing some of our favorite family-friendly summer recipes. Most of them are very easy, and all of them have been big hits with my kids!
Family-Friendly Summer Recipes
- Watermelon is a summer favorite – we eat it nearly every day, all summer long! I was thrilled to find this low-mess way to cube watermelon! We still slice it into wedges sometimes, because that is fun also, but this way I can buy a watermelon, cube it all at once, and have it ready as a healthy snack whenever we want it.
- Smoothies are always popular with my kids – and a great way to sneak in a few ingredients that might be a little tougher to get kids to eat in other formats. These smoothie recipes don’t need any sugar, and they include protein to help keep kids’ blood sugar balanced.
- Homemade Pasta takes some advanced planning, but it cooks faster than dried pasta (releasing less heat into your home) and is infinitely more delicious. My four-year-old has discovered that she adores helping with this meal!
- Lemonade is another summer treat that my kids love to help make – and very refreshing on hot summer days!
I love getting together with friends for barbecues in the summer, and we often offer to bring treats. Here are a few delicious favorites:
- This two-ingredient chocolate sauce comes together very quickly, and is absolutely delicious! It is perfect for making hot fudge sundaes, or chocolate-dipped treats!
- If you love chocolate and mousse-type desserts, you will want to try this dessert for chocoholics. It comes together quickly and is consistently popular at parties.
- Last but certainly not least, these lemon cookies are the one recipe that my readers are the most enthusiastic about – and my family adores them as well. If you love lemons, this is a must-try recipe!
More summer meal inspiration from across the world:
Beat the Heat with South Asian Treats – delicious food that helps to keep cool? Yes, please!
Blueberry Lemon Dutch Oven Cobbler – Perfect for Summer Campouts – if you’re planning to cook outdoors this summer, this cobbler should be on your list.
2 French Recipes for a Light Lunch – cake is an excellent idea for a summer lunch, especially one that’s easy to make.
Carlota de Limón Recipe (Key Lime Icebox Cake) – on the topic of cake, this Mexican dessert is usually eaten either frozen or chilled and thus perfect for sunny days.
Summer Recipes for a Multicultural Family – more inspiration for light summer meals from Spain, Russia, and the US.