Winter is the season of gift-giving, but Hanukkah has its own reasons and history. Read on for some of the background of gift giving on Hanukkah, plus some great gift ideas!
Back when the Hanukkah story happened, the Jewish nation was forbidden from studying their holy Torah. This was a rule that cut at the core of their existence, and was aimed at obliterating, and hampering their continuity.
As a matter of survival, Jews continued to study Torah, despite the great danger. Therefore, one of the modern goals of Hanukkah is to celebrate our Torah study, and all the liberties we are allowed. Traditionally, parents would give their children “gifts” of money as a reward for studying Torah.
Today, many people take advantage of holiday sales to give all sorts of gifts. Many others still veer toward “gelt” – the Yiddish word for money. As a child, we always got cash gifts from our grandparents. My mother would pick up either small items for each of the eight days, or a single larger gift to represent all eight days.
Even while gifting money you can be creative!
Here are some great gift ideas. I’ve included some fun ways to gift money, some DIY Hanukkah-related items you can make, and some fun Hanukkah themed gifts to buy. That way, there’s something for everyone, and you have your Hanukkah gift-giving needs all set!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, Multicultural Kid Blogs receives a small commission.
Gift giving on Hanukkah – 18 gift ideas:
I’ve included 18 Hanukkah gift ideas, because that’s the numerical equivalent of the Hebrew word “Chai” meaning life. That makes it a great number to use…
- Fold bills into a Star of David – just for fun!
- Make this bracelet by By Stephanie Lynn that’s worth its weight in… bills?
- Give “iPad dough” in cleverly labeled upcycled containers.
- Cash bonds are a great way to give money that is to be saved. My grandmother used to do this for our birthdays, and it was very useful when I got married and set up home.
- You can easily turn this cash birthday card into a cash Menorah card!
- Turn money into a pad of bills.
- Stash cash in a Lego tower for a Lego fan. This idea can be adapted so many different ways!
- Give a classic singing dreidel plush – perfect for very little ones.
- Hanukkah themed PJ’s are perfect for keeping warm all winter.
- A KidCraft wooden Hanukkah play set allow children to have their own Hanukkah fun.
- Make a play menorah that the toddler in your life can actually light.
- Free Hanukkah bottle labels can be used on any kind of bottle… to turn it into something special for the holiday.
- A classic Star of David necklace is a Hanukkah themed gift that will be worn year round.
- Your little builder can make her own menorah using this set.
- Fill a paper dreidel with all sorts of treats.
- Make embroidered Hanukkah coasters – perfect for hot chocolate on a wintry night – yum!
- Here’s another cool DIY toy menorah. It can double as a pencil holder for year-round use.
- Or, gift this menorah for the adults to use.
I hope you enjoyed these Hanukkah gift ideas. If you have any other questions about gift giving on Hanukkah, just comment below!
You can also find more great gift ideas for the holidays by clicking on the image below!by