It’s holiday season, and in many homes that means gift shopping! I’m excited to share some great books and toys that teach children about the world – and that your kids will LOVE! All of these products are kid-tested and kid-approved by my four kids (aged 8, 6, 5, and 2) as well as many of our friends.
Note: this post contains affiliate links.
Books that Teach Global Awareness
The National Geographic Kids Beginner’s World Atlas is the perfect Atlas for kids who love photos! My eight-year-old loves looking through our copy of this book!
We have the 2014 edition of the National Geographic Kids Almanac, and this is another book that my eight-year-old reads constantly!
Usborne Books is one of my favorite sources of books that teach kids about the world, particularly for early elementary school aged children! Here are a few that my five-year-old and six-year-old particularly like:
- The Children’s Picture Atlas is a fun way for kids to explore the geography and animals of the world.
- I owned and loved the Flags Sticker Book as a child (or something very similar), and I was happy to see that this book is also available in Spanish! My eight-year-old also loves this book!
- Stories From Around the World and Stories from Around the World for Little Children feature stories from around the globe that all children should know.
- Lots of Things to Spot Around the World is a fun hide and find book for kids.
- If your child loves stickers, they are bound to enjoy the Explore the World activity book! My five, six, and eight-year-old all enjoy the activities in this book.
Toys that Teach About the World
The LeapFrog LeapReader Interactive World Map is a toy that my kids use a LOT – and they learn about countries in the process! You will need to buy a LeapFrog TAG Reading pen if you do not already own one.
GeoPuzzles are a wonderful way to teach kids about the location and shapes of the world’s countries! They are also a great parent-child learning activity.
Flag Frenzy! is my favorite way to teach kids how to recognize flags from around the world, as well as where these countries are! This game is like Spot It – you need to find the flag on your card that matches one of the flags on the card that is already on the table. We play so that you also have to point to where your matching flag is on the included map of the world.
What are your favorite books and toys that teach children about the world?
We’re excited to be a part of the Gift Guides for Kids from Kid Blogger Network, this year coordinated by our member Erica of What Do We Do All Day! We are especially looking forward to Multicultural Gifts from Africa to America, Gifts that Celebrate World Cultures from Kid World Citizen, Gifts that Give Back from The Good Long Road, and Mindfulness and Meditation for Kids Gift Ideas from Kids Yoga Stories.
Find all the gift guides on the main page and even more ideas on our group Pinterest board!by
Latest posts by MaryAnne (see all)
- How to Celebrate Epiphany Day in France - January 2, 2017
- How Raising a Child with Autism Teaches Me Global Citizenship - April 27, 2016
- Globally Inspired Christmas Cards - November 30, 2015